Rockdale is a registered social landlord and has been supporting older people in Sevenoaks since 1953. Today it is home to over 200 residents in a range of sheltered accommodation and residential care. Whether you opt to rent or purchase your property, or move to our residential home, you will be part of a welcoming community nestled in the centre of Sevenoaks Town. For many of our residents the knowledge that our staff are on site 24-hours a day brings peace of mind so that they can enjoy their retirement.
We are a not-for-profit charitable organisation which enables us to keep Rockdale affordable for all and any profits are invested back into the Association and not to shareholders. We are governed by a Board of Trustees which ensures that Rockdale adheres to its values and principles of providing the best, affordable housing to older people in Sevenoaks.
Originally set up by a pioneering lady of Sevenoaks, Miss Beatrice Wilson, Rockdale is steadfast is its founding principles which Miss Wilson set out over 60 years ago. Miss Wilson trained as a physiotherapist at St Guys Hospital in London and ran her own clinic on Southpark called The Vitasan. Upon her return from service overseas during the war, whilst still operating her clinic, she raised enough money to purchase Rockdale House (now Laurie House) which she converted into a residential home for the elderly in 1953.
Miss Wilson continued to fundraise further and between 1958-1968 she was able to construct 86 apartments for independent living which our residents continue to enjoy today. She was a truly remarkable woman who has provided so many people with a beautiful home. Today, we continue her efforts by developing the site and upholding her values so that Rockdale will always be a wonderful place to live.
Rockdale’s mission is to provide housing, care and other help for older people which they can afford, and which will enable them to maintain or improve their quality of life. Its objectives are:
To provide good quality homes and support services for older people which meet their changing needs. This means we will:
• provide well managed housing cost-effectively and to high standards
• consult with residents, tenants and leaseholders on the services provided
• regularly monitor, evaluate and strive to improve services
• provide efficient and responsive repair services, and make adequate provision for planned maintenance
• make the best use of our assets to maintain a sustainable community
• offer appropriate advice to services and welfare benefits.
To offer high quality residential care.
• aim to establish Rockdale House as a model of excellence in residential care
• recognise that the quality of residential care is dependent on the quality of the staff providing it, and thus place a high priority on the recruitment, training and retention of staff
To sustain and develop its charitable work.
• set aside such capacity and funding as can be afforded by the Association for the support of those who do not have the financial means to access our services
• account clearly for our charitable work through external reporting
• seek grants and donations for the support and expansion of our charitable work
As the Association’s Chief Executive, Anita has the overall responsibility for the management of every aspect of Rockdale’s work, reporting to the Board of Trustees. Anita joined Rockdale in June 2016 with a background in Housing and a wealth of experience within the housing sector having worked for both small and larger Housing Associations previously.
Val manages Rockdale’s sheltered apartments, including lettings and sales of leasehold apartments. Val joined Rockdale in 1998 as our Lettings Officer and as such she is extremely knowledgeable about the lettings system both within Rockdale and in the wider district and county.
Stephanie is responsible for managing the Finance and Maintenance departments. Stephanie joined in 2011 and has a background in finance and the voluntary sector. She is the Health and Safety officer for the Association and oversees repairs and major projects on site.
Rhonda joined Rockdale in February 2019 as Registered Manager for our Residential Care Home, Rockdale House.
Formally a Registered General Nurse, Rhonda is well informed about CQC regulations, governance , audit and compliance, infection control and end of life care.
Rhonda’s passion for working with older people started when she was 15 and has continued ever since.
We are tremendously grateful to our Board of Trustees who work entirely on a voluntary basis, and are responsible for formulating the Association’s policy and monitoring its work. Many of them have impressive professional backgrounds which brings a wealth of experience and knowledge to our organisation.
|Roland Courtney (Chair)||Patricia Smith|
|Jim Latheron||Jane Budack|
|David McKee||Ian Grattidge|
|Gillian Shepherd-Coates||Jill Griffiths|
|Dr Sian Watt||Sarah Heilbron|